Wednesday, July 2, 2014

iSCSI SVM to ESXi Host - Clustered ONTAP

Eventually, I want to spin up a bunch of small VMs (probably will use Ubuntu as an example for now) on one volume and enable deduplication, or A-SIS (Advanced Single Instance Storage) to do this on a very small amount of disk space. In my lab, I will provision an iSCSI LUN to my ESXi host to use as the datastore to house my VMs using the cluster of Vsims running Clustered ONTAP.

Later, I will dedup that volume allowing me to create twice as many VMs as one would think could be created in that amount of disk space.

First, I login to the cluster via System Manager and create my SVM for iSCSI. In the left pane of System Manager, expand "Storage Virtual Machines", select the cluster, and click "create" to open the SVM setup wizard. This should look very similar to previous posts. Enter a name for your SVM. In my lab, currently, I'm using FlexVol volumes. For data protocols, select "iSCSI". Leave the language as the default. Select a security style. Select an aggregate to house the SVM's root volume. If you've previously entered DNS configuration information, these boxes will already be filled out. Mine looks like this:


Click "Submit and continue".
You can then configure the LIFs for iSCSI. In this lab I only made one LIF per node.
You can then enter SVM administrator details.
At this point your new iSCSI SVM is created. However, you still need to provision a volume, an iSCSI LUN, and map it to an igroup containing your ESX host's IQN.
Here's my igroup with my one ESX host's IQN:


Here's my LUNs view from System Manager showing my LUN mapped to the "esx" igroup:
You should be able to go into vSphere Client and highlight our host in the left pane. Then click on the "configuration" tab and click "storage". Click "add storage". Select  "Disk/LUN" and click "Next". Highlight the NetApp LUN we just presented and click "Next". You should now have a new iSCSI datastore mounted by your ESX host.

In my lab I created a 16Gb LUN and presented it to my ESX host. I've created one Ubuntu VM and I am already down to 10Gb free space in this LUN. I will create another one or two of these Ubuntu VMs and then enable dedup on that iSCSI volume to see if we can save some space. 









No comments: