Monday, January 19, 2009

Verizon Alltel Merger

Well if you live in Carteret County, you probably know Alltel has the best reception in most areas compared to other carriers. But now with Verizon buying Alltel will this still be the case? Will you still be able to use your Alltel phone on the Verizon network? All sorts of questions come to mind when you begin to think about the merger of these two cell phone providers.

I recently switched to Verizon, and was unhappy because it seemed that I have little to no reception in places my Alltel phone would have full bars. So I am hoping that between the two of them, I should now have excellent coverage anywhere I go.

From what I've read if you currently use Alltel, you will likely automatically be converted to a Verizon customer. However, as part of the deal Verizon had to sell assets in 105 markets. So you actually could end up with a completely different carrier. The FCC forced this to preserve some competition in the 105 markets.

If you have an Alltel plan will you still be able to take advantage of My-Circle? Well that's still up in the air as Verizon is currently evaluating that. But in the near future Alltel customers will enjoy free mobile-to-mobile calls even to Verizon phone numbers. I thought that was pretty cool.

Your Alltel phone should work just fine on the Verizon network, so there should be no need to upgrade. Both carriers use the same technology in their network architecture.

Will annoying Alltel commercials go away? Gosh I sure hope so. But judging from the new Verizon campaign about "dead zones" I think Verizon's marketing team can do much better than the Chad commercials.

What about all of those Alltel stores? Well they'll remain open in the short term. But I think they will likely start closing some of them before too long.

No comments: